QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working : Single User Unable to Switches Multi-User Mode
QuickBooks multi-user mode is the most powerful in-built functionality offered by Intuit. Users are frustrated when they get the error “QuickBooks multi-user mode not working” or “you’re unable to switch to mult-user mode.” There are heavy chances to get this error message when you’re working on single-user mode. The multi-user mode allows more than one user to work an individual company file on a different system independently for increasing collaboration of systems and to improve productivity.
Sometimes when you’re attempting to load a company file located on another computer, you may receive QuickBooks error h202 messages on your screen. Although this is an unusual error that you may get but it can be passed onto one server to the other system. QuickBooks File Doctor saying “QBDBMgrN is not running on this system”.
QuickBooks multi-user mode is one of the most powerful characteristics which is produced by the Intuit. It has so many characteristics and advantages. Some of the major benefits are listed below.
- You can print Bills and Checks at the same time but from different users
- Easily create Invoices from Estimations and Bills from Purchase Orders
- You can also scan through created checks by Scan Check Merchant Choice of QuickBooks.
For successfully using QuickBooks multi-user mode, every user must have a QuickBooks license and it is also compulsory that all the users must be on a secure network. In the multi-user mode, the QuickBooks company file is saved on a server system, which permits other systems to access it.
QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Requirements
If you want to use the QuickBooks Multi-user Mode, you have to accomplish the below-listed requirements:
- QuickBooks Multi-user License: Here, you have two choices to use multi-user mode and those choices are as shown below:
- The first option is that you can purchase Multi-User License
- The second option is that you can add multiple users in an existing license by following the below-listed steps:-
- First of all, open QuickBooks and from the Main Menu tab, tap on the Manage Licenses tab
- One Computer System to Host QuickBooks: Here, you can permit one system to host the software which will give access to another system over the server.
It can be a little bit tough for you to maintain this tool as it is pretty new. Set up for a multi-user mode may be slightly hard for you and end up having problems with this feature.
Network server problems can also be the cause behind this issue. So before starting the fixing process of QuickBooks multi-user mode issue, you have to know the exact reason behind this issue.
Causes of QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working
There is a list of reasons that can cause the occurrence of this error:-
- When the database server is not able to open the QuickBooks company file.
- Due to incorrect Hosting Configuration set up
- ‘.ND file’ is corrupted or is incorrect.
- Firewall blocks the incoming or outgoing communication to the QuickBooks company file
- When QuickBooks software is not able to access the IP address of the computer or for the server which is hosting the QuickBooks company file.
- The Workstations are configured to open the file through the host’s completely adequate domain name. ( for eg:-pc name.domain.com)
- Due to QuickBooksDBXX service has not begun still
- The file is located in a non-native installer server. (Microsoft Virtual Server, and VMWare)
- QuickBooks DataServiceXX permissions do not have read/write permission and were not set to add ‘inheritable permissions’ from the object’s parent.
- Because QuickBooks company file folder was not scanned by the QuickBooks Database Server on the server.
- Firewall or antivirus software is not supporting communication between user systems.
- Sometimes accessing data using extra time than normal.
Read Also: How To Restore A QuickBooks Backup File
Solutions To Resolve QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working Issue
You may face QuickBooks multi-user mode not working issue after you have finished QuickBooks multi-user settings for using QuickBooks in multi-user mode. This error is related to errors like H202, H101, H505, and H303. Below-listed solutions can help you in solving this error:-
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor
You have to download the QuickBooks File Doctor tool from the official website of Intuit and execute it. This tool examines whether your system is correctly set up for using QuickBooks multi-user mode or not. After executing this tool, verify whether you are encountering QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem.
Solution 2: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager in your server system by typing the database in the Start menu bar.
- Here, if you find no folder locations, then, use Browse to go to the folder saving company file/files.
- Now, click on the OK button and then tap on the Scan button.
By following the above-listed steps, firewall permissions will get corrected. Now, check whether QuickBooks multi-user mode not working problem has been fixed.
Solution 3: Add server to the ‘Windows hosts file.’
- Open the Windows hosts file.
- Then, put an insertion point after the last IP address listed and fill in the server’s IP address.
- After that, tap on the Tab key and then, fill in the server name.
- Now, go to File menu>> select Save. Now form the same menu you can choose ‘EXIT.’
- Try to open the QuickBooks company file.
Solution 4: Make Sure That QuickBooks Can Send Data
- If the Windows Firewall is allowed, then add exceptions to the windows firewall exceptions list.
Note: For Windows 7, server 2008 and windows server standard FE 2007- you have to include exceptions for both inbound/outbound rules.
- Now you need to configure some other firewall or antivirus software to enable these ports.
Note: You can easily try and disable the software to see if it is a query. Please note this is not a permanent solution. Make sure that you re-enable and configure the ports accurately after you have performed this check.
Solution 5: Make a new folder for the ‘Company file.’
- You have to create a new ‘shared folder’ for the company file on the host computer.
- Then, set the access permissions for the new folder so that company files can be shared easily.
- After that, copy the ‘.QB file’ to the new folder.
- Next is to ‘Rescan’ the folder which has your company file.
- Lastly, try again and open the QuickBooks company file.
The Bottom Line
QuickBooks multi-user mode is one of the most amazing features of QuickBooks software in which your company file is stored on the server and then several users can access the same company file simultaneously. To resolve the issue run QuickBooks file doctor tool or QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you have further query, then get in touch with our Intuit Certified ProAdvisors through the toll-free number.