How To Restore A QuickBooks Backup File: [ A Step-By-Step Guide ]
Do you know how to restore a QuickBooks backup file? What are the solutions to restore a QB backup file? What are the causes of QuickBooks restore failed? Then, don’t worry we are here to help you and give you the best and easy solutions.
At Auditxpert, you will be able to do accounting very efficiently and get the maximum profit from your business.
Save Time & Effort
Get Help From Expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number.+1-844-476-5438
In this blog, we are going to discuss how to restore a QuickBooks backup file, its possible solutions, causes, symptoms and many more.
So, you have to just read this step-by-step guide and follow these steps properly.
Most of the time, when you attempt to restore a QuickBooks backup file an error message shows on the screen as “Restore failed can’t remove log file” or “This is the invalid format of post-QuickBooks 2007 Backup file”. This error message shows QuickBooks restore failed and there can be many reasons for the failure.
Some of the users might get this error message as: “QuickBooks won’t restore a backup”.
Symptoms of “QuickBooks Restore Failed Error”
- When the backup restores an existing file.
- The USB flash drive gives permission to the user to restore a backup.
- While restoring a corrupt backup file.
- The backup was prepared with the latest or different versions of QuickBooks software.
Causes of QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
The users may face some error during the restoring data from QuickBooks backup files, wherein the process fails with one of the following error messages:
“Error:- Restore Failed. This is a Wrong Arrangement of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File”
“Error:- Restore failed. Can not remove logfile”
- When you have added some special characters (for eg:- *,&,%,$,#,@) in the Company file name.
- You are attempting to restore a backup over an existing QuickBooks company file.
- Backup was restored from a portable drive to a network drive
- When the backup was created in the current version. For eg: Backup was made up in the QuickBooks version 2016 and now you are attempting to restore it in the Quickbooks version 2017 or 2018.
- The company file you are attempting to restore is not a backup file.
- The company file you are trying to restore is either damaged or missing.
Points To Remember
QuickBooks Background Information:-
- QB software stores your data in a file with the .qbw extension (Windows) or .qb2017 (OS X).
- QuickBooks allows the users to generate a full backup of your important data. The extensions used in these files are .qbb (Windows) or .dmg (OS X).
Methods To Restore “QuickBooks Restore Failed” Error
There are possible solutions to fix the “QuickBooks Restore Failed” error with step by step of every solution. So, perform the following steps:-
Method 1: Delete Special Character from the Company File
- First of all, you need to do right-click on the file name and select the option Rename.
- Now, enter a new file name without the special character and Enter.
Method 2: Avoid Overwriting an Existing File While Restoring Company Backup
- Firstly, successfully save your file in an easily approachable location.
- If the file name matches another file in the same folder, a message will show on the screen that is “The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?”.
- Now, you have to tap on No and change the file name successfully.
Method 3: Use the Same or New Version of QuickBooks Software While Restoring the Company Backup File
- Use QuickBooks File Manager to know your QuickBooks version during restoring the company backup file
Method 4: Confirm True Backup File
- First of all, make sure that the backup file should not be less than 6MB, therefore you have to check the file size after forming a company file backup.
- Then, right-click on the file and choose Properties to check the file size.
- If it is less than 6MB then the file is not a true backup file, now you need to create a new backup.
Method 5: Repair Your Company File
- The company file may get affected because of many reasons. Use QuickBooks File Doctor to troubleshoot any damage data.
Method 6: Repair QuickBooks Manually
You can use QuickBooks software inbuilt Rebuild and Verify services to fix QuickBooks manually.
- First of all, you need to Go to the QuickBooks File menu, then Utilities and Rebuild Data.
- Now, Go to the QuickBooks File menu then go to Utilities and Verify Data.
Restoring QuickBooks Company File Backups With The File Extension (.qbb)
To Restore a QuickBooks Backup File (.qbb):
- Firstly, open QuickBooks software.
- Then, you have to select “Open an existing company file” (if you have a large window asking to set up your business, then, close that window)
- Now, you need to choose the “Restore a backup file” and then select “Local backup”
- After that, browse to wherever your .qbb backup file is placed
- Then, click on “Next” which will take you to the “Save Company File as” window. Here is where you will select where the company file will be saved. The default (and suggested) directory is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- Finally, once the restore process completes you should be advised to log into your company file.
To Create a QuickBooks Backup File (.qbb):
- First of all, you need to open your QuickBooks company file
- Then, select File / Back-Up Company / Create Local Backup
- Now choose “Local Backup”
- Then, select “Options” and then “Browse”
- After that, browse to the folder where the backup file should stay
- And then ensure that the “Complete Verification” is selected / OK / Choose “Use This Path” (if asked): Next / “Save It Now” / Next / Leave the default name / Save
- Finally, your QuickBooks .qbb backup file will be saved successfully in the specified location.
Restore a QuickBooks backup file error is occurs when you try to take the Backup of your company file then QuickBooks show the error message on your computer screen. This error occurs when you add some special character into your company file like (@,#,$,%,^), etc. You can solve this error by deleting the special character from the company file.