Resolve QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 To Open Company File
QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 is a frequently occurring runtime error that shows you when QuickBooks files run and open. You experience this error issue when trying to run QuickBooks Desktop or while opening a QuickBooks Desktop company file (.qbw) on a multi-user network.
Read everything thoroughly from here, QB error 6189, 816 describing that the problem is with your multi-user network not with your accounting data. When this error code appears you will see the error message on your PC screen: “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816).” Sometimes you have faced when QuickBooks is unable to open the company file. At the time of fixing this error get your QuickBooks Desktop multi-user network up and running again.
Read Also: QuickBooks error 1904: Causes & Solutions
How QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 occurs?
There are multiple reasons behind this error issue will know after reading this, are listed down:
- If your operating system or QuickBooks Program Files or the QuickBooks company file might have been touched with an unrecognized malware or any virus infection, that could have happened in QuickBooks error 6189, 816.
- Finite users are authorized are assigned in QBDataServiceXX for Windows
- Corrupted or removed QuickBooks components or damages to QuickBooks Company file
- QuickBooks version doesn’t give accommodation to the company file when you are attempting to open an outdated version of a company file under the current version of QuickBooks software.
- Company transaction log file is older than the company file you attempt to open
- Multi-user mode is not upgraded to QuickBooks
- Due to the corrupted Network Data Source file on the QuickBooks Server or Host system and issues with QuickBooks Hosting processes.
How to Identify Error 6189, 816 in QuickBooks
Learn from here to recognize your error, if you think error 6189, 816 in QuickBooks enters your system. Have a look at the points listed down:
- Connection lost to the QuickBooks company files
- The device is not able to perform any given instruction thus cannot open any program file.
- One perceives the disability to open or upgrade any QuickBooks company file.
- If the active window closes on its own without presenting any message before.
- When a user tries to open the QuickBooks company file in an updated version of QuickBooks inadequately.
- When the device becomes as slow as possible only to return the demanded response a lot later than it should.
- If the system completely stops that hangs suddenly for some time, it becomes unresponsive.
Solutions To Fix QuickBooks Error 6189, 816[Step-by-Step]
After recognizing the causes of this error and why the software could not open the company file, you need to instantly get to fixing the error. Here are the solutions which can be applied to resolve the QB error 6189, 816–
Solution 1: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
This solution is divided into two steps as you can see below:
Step 1: Download, Install and Run QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub is very powerful in order to fix critical errors of QuickBooks. For the best experience, we advised working with Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit.
- Quit QuickBooks
- We have suggested downloading the updated version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub(14.0.0). Save your files in the Downloads folder or your Windows Desktop or somewhere else where you can easily identify them
Note: Anytime you can check which version you have if previously installed QuickBooks Desktop Hub. To do this: Click on the Home tab and then the versions will be displayed on the bottom right or choose the About option for viewing the version details.
- Click to open your downloaded file(QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
- By following the on-screen prompts, you’ll be able to install it by agreeing to terms and conditions
- After the install finishes, click twice the icon on your Windows Desktop to open the QB Tool Hub
Note: If due to some issues you are unable to find the icon then do a search in Windows for QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the program.
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix my Program from the Tools Hub
- To start, In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, click on the Program Problems
- Choose the Quick Fix my Program
- Now begin the QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file
If error 6189, 816 still unresolved, then move to the next solution i.e. Solution 2: Restart all of your Systems and Servers.
Solution 2: Restart all of your Systems and Servers
- First of all, you have to restart the server(server hosts your company file)
You Must Know: If you are working with QuickBooks Enterprise hosting rather than a server computer, so advised to contact Intuit or highly qualified IT professionals to get help.
If using one of the Intuit affiliated Intuit Hosting Providers or other cloud services for hosting your company files then contact them as early as you can do to restart the service.
- Then, restart all of the workstations connected to the server(other systems connected through a network and unable to host your company file).
- Now, on the server, open the QuickBooks Desktop.
- After opening the QuickBooks on the server, then open it on all the workstations.
- Lastly, check whether the QuickBooks error Code 6189, 816 is appearing or not.
Solution 3: Install and Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your Server From the Tools Hub
Your server computer will help you in storing your QuickBooks company file(s). Your other computers that are connected are represented as workstations. When you are hosting your network itself, QuickBooks Database will be helpful to keep multi-network stable.
- To begin, from the tools hub, click on the “Network Issues”
- After that, click on the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”. Once you have chosen it asks you to install QuickBooks on your server if not previously installed
- Get into the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, choose “Start Scan” only if your company file(s) will be visible, if they aren’t, “Browse” or navigate by following the path to visit your company file and then click on the Start Scan.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager automates you to repair your firewall permissions or authorizations. After the scan finishes, click on the Close option to end it
- In the end, now open your QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer and workstations to immediately resolve the issue, if the issue is still the same, move onward.
Important! If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed or running on one of your workstations, ensure that the workstation is not set to host your multi-user network.
Solution 4: Transfer your Company files to your Local Hard Drive
If QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 is occurring and the QuickBooks company file is stored in an online place or on a detachable drive, then you need to follow the below-listed steps:
- First of all, you need to recognize the location of the QuickBooks company file either by using the F2 on your keyboard if the file is open or by using the No Company Open window if the file is not open.
- After that, go to the folder in which the file is stored.
- Now, simply copy the folder by right-clicking on the folder.
- After copying, paste it into an external storage component like a thumb drive, pen drive, etc.
- Now, go to the new system and connect your external storage device. Copy files from the external device to the local drive on the new computer.
- Lastly, open QuickBooks software and then your file.
Corrupted Windows Drive
Sometimes QuickBooks error 6189, 816 happens due to a damaged or corrupted Windows drive you used for QuickBooks. It is up to you to download or update a new Windows Drive update utility for updating and running the Windows drive. If you are not able to do this, then get ready to contact any specialists or master to instantly get a solution.
Other Solution to Fix QuickBooks Error 6189, 816
Download and Run QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- Firstly, you need to download QBRefresher and successfully save it to your Windows desktop
- Then install all the files with their help and save it where you can easily find it
- Ensure that all QuickBooks versions working on your system have stopped.
- Now, execute the downloaded QBRefresher.exe file.
- It will take 30 seconds to run, you need to follow the onscreen prompts
- In the end, open your QuickBooks software one more time after QBRefresher has completed its work.
Hope our listed step solutions will help you to fix QuickBooks error 6189, 816. Nevertheless, your error issue persists and you are unable to fix it with our manual guide then place a call on our toll-free number where a team of Intuit certified ProAdvisors is waiting for you to fix your queries with regards to QuickBooks.