Fix QuickBooks Company File Won’t Open: Can’t Open Company File, Or File Not Found
QuickBooks users get into this situation when after attempting several times a QuickBooks company file won’t open. When you find yourself in trouble with this error, don’t panic, just focus on following the manual solutions to fix it.
Save Time & Effort
Get Help From Expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number.+1-844-476-5438
We have covered the maximum reasons for occurring this error issue in this article. Sometimes this error prompts due to working on an outdated release of QuickBooks Desktop. Data corruption will be troubling you more and maybe the cause of this error.
Reason For QuickBooks Can’t Open Company File
- QuickBooks Company file has damaged your data.
- Corrupted hard drive with file storage and then company data also damaged.
- Issues with file location and Extension
- Conflicting with *QBW.TLG file.
- Issues in reports in the file
- If you are using the incorrect version to open QuickBooks files.
- When you apply the wrong method to open the company file.
Other Causes that Promote This Error are:
- Long Company File Name: When you use a long company file name, it prevents QuickBooks from accessing the company file. So always use a short name to your company file to keep it healthy and useful.
- Damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file: Working with damaged or missing QBUSER.INI files might be another reason that promotes this error.
- Corrupt or Damaged hard drive: If your hard drive is corrupted or damaged where you have installed your QuickBooks software, it blocks accessing company files to QuickBooks. So, timely to monitor your hard drive to work efficiently.
Precaution Before Starting the Troubleshoot
- Be sure that the issues with the company file not in the programs themselves check them before starting the company files.
- Make sure you are using the new updated version of QuickBooks software.
- Check your QuickBooks desktop program cannot be corrupted.
- Also, check if only one computer can host your QuickBooks company file.
Steps for Resolving the QuickBooks Company file Won’t Open Problems
Solution 1: Open your File Directly in QuickBooks
- Press and hold the Ctrl key while you double-click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Until your window file does not open you can hold the key.
- Now open your QuickBooks to check if only one computer can access its hosting or not? If not then close down the server that opens the QuickBooks company file.
- Turn off the hosting from another computer and following these steps also:
For Single User
Note: Turn on the hosting mode and disable multi-users access.
- Go to the file and then click to the Utilities then click to stop hosting for multi-users access.
- When you follow steps 1 and disabled the multi-users access then, on the screen pop up and display the confirm option then click on YES.
- After closing the QuickBooks file this message appears then click on yes.
Note: For the multi-users, you can get set up your QuickBooks company file, this error indicated usually for the one or more clients computers are set up for multiple users.
- This message is displayed on every client’s computer.
- Go to the Company Open Window and choose the option Utilities.
- Then you select the menu option of the multi-users host displayed. One or more client computers display the menu option on the screen, and clients’ computers prevent hosting, multi-user access because which indicates that it was already hosting multi-user access.
- Select the option to stop multi-user hosting on any other client computer, then promote to stop the multi-user hosting.
- Then start to open the QuickBooks file again, the login window should now appear if the problem appears to reach solution number 7.
If this solution does not work then reached your solution number 2:
Solution 2: Open your QuickBooks File from another Computer
- Go to the QuickBooks file menu and select the option to open and restore the Company.
- Select the option button for the type of file when you are trying to open it.
- Browse the company file location that you are trying to Open.
- Then select the file and click to open it.
Solution 3: Avoid the Option for QuickBooks Desktop window open automatically
There are many windows open on your computer then avoid the automatically open windows.
- Go to Company Window and select the Company file.
- If you display the login window, type your password, press and hold the ALT key and click on Ok if you release the Alt key the window displays the Error message.
To open the company file without any error follow these steps:
- For the next steps go to the Edit menu and select the Preferences.
- Now click to the desktop view and select the don’t save the desktop.
- Click Ok.
Solution 4: Rename.TLG and.ND Files
- Open the company file where your company file is saved.
- Right-click to the transaction log file and rename it also OLD.qbw.TLG, and also provide the same name as the company file with a.TLG file extension.
- Open the Company file and then QuickBooks automatically create the.TLG and.Nd Files.
Solution 5: Open your Company File to the New Location
- Create a new folder in the C drive.
- Then open the folder where the company file is saved.
- Press and hold the ctrl key, and now choose the Company file(.qbw) and it’s corresponding.TLG files of your company profile.
- Right-click and choose the option Copy.
- Open the new folder and right click and then paste the file.
Solution 6: Check all the Properties and File Extension
- The Company File Saved folder can be Open.
- Right-click on the company file and choose the properties option.
- You make sure the company file size is under 7 MB.
- Select the Advanced and make sure that the box is compressed and encrypted attributes are Unchecked.
- Then click to Ok.
Solution 7: Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Installation
- Run the reboot.bat.
- Repair your QuickBooks Installation.
- Reinstall and use the Clean Install.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 61
The Bottom Line
Hope our above-listed solutions will be effective for you in fixing the QuickBooks company file won’t error issue. But if still, you’re getting the same error messages from different corners, you can take help from our QuickBooks ProAdvisor by calling on our toll-free number.
Leave a Reply