QuickBooks error 1618 is a technical setup error that you get while trying to install or update your QuickBooks software. Error 1618 prompts you like “there was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (error code 1618)”. Other you can see, “error install is already running” error message while running setup programs or during QuickBooks programs installation.
Usually, users get the same error while setting up programs for the installation of QuickBooks, that’s why this is known as a setup error. We can’t say there is only one reason that promotes this error, maybe plenty of reasons that give rise to technical glitches. So here in this article, you’ll know completely about these reasons along with their instant troubleshooting solutions. Let’s start it:
How QB Error 1618 is Displayed?
Error 1618 in QuickBooks will be displayed when installing and updating the QuickBooks. When it arises any of the following error messages might appear on your screen:
Error: There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618).
Error 1618. “ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING” error message when you run the Setup program to install QuickBooks programs.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 1618
- Error message 1618 prompts on the screen
- The computer responds very slowly and freezes for a little time
- Windows start running sluggishly
- Computer often crashes
- Another software is installing in the background while the installation of QuickBooks
You may like to read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1712
Why Error 1618 in QuickBooks Appears
- Defective or corrupt installation of QuickBooks programs
- Corruption in Windows Registry brings this error code
- Virus or malware attack on Windows registry files or QuickBooks related files
- Some sort of internal issues arises
- QuickBooks related files have been deleted mistakenly or maliciously by another program
Solutions To Resolve QuickBooks Error 1618: Another Program is Being Updated
Error 1618 in QuickBooks can be resolved by following the solutions listed down. We come with these solutions after analyzing the causes and symptoms that promote this error. For quick results, you can either download and run QuickBooks Tools Hub. This tool gives support in triggering common error problems.
Note: Keep remembering while using QuickBooks Tool Hub your QuickBooks must be closed.
- Download QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool and save it to the Desktop by clicking on its .exe extension
- Say yes to agree with their licenses and then start scanning your PC
- Once ended, reboot your PC and install QuickBooks
Solution 1: Reinstallation of Microsoft Runtime Library
- At very first, download the MS Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
- Click to download MS Visual C ++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) only if your PC is 32 bits
- Click to download MS Visual C ++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) only if your PC is 64 bits
- Save the package you have been downloaded on the desktop
- Click twice on your downloaded package to rename it
- Rename your downloaded package as exe or vcredist_X86.exe.
- Start following the on-screen instructions to end it
- Run Quick Fix my program from QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Restart your PC and start installing QuickBooks on your PC
Solution 2: Verify MSIEXEC.EXE instances in the background
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys together from your keyboard
- Click on Task Manager
- Open Processes on your PC
- Click the Image name column for resetting the list in alphabetical order for the running processes
- Scrolling down until you find MSIEXEC.EXE process in your list
- Click on MSIEXEC.EXE and then choose the End process button
- Quit Task Manager
- After a few seconds, open your Task Manager again
Note: These steps help users in ensuring that MSIEXEC.EXE runs in the background. Once you are done with the steps, reboot your PC to start a new session.
Solution 3: Updating Windows Installer Version
- Login to your PC with Administrator level authorizations (as an administrator)
- Check and Verify your Windows Installer version
- Click on My Computer
- Go to the location C:\drive, “C:\Windows\system 32”
- Store the exe file and click on it
- Click on Properties and then Version
- Now you’re having collective details of your Windows Installer version
- If you found yourself working with an outdated version
- Update your Windows Installer to the new version
- Reboot your PC
Solution 4: Create a Backup of Windows Registry Files on your Desktop
- Move your cursor to Windows Taskbar, then click on Start
- Launch Run Command
- In the search section, type Regedit
- Click on My computer
- Launch File Menu and then choose Export
- Open Export Range and click on All Options inside it
- Store the backup of the windows registry at the desktop location
- After creating a backup, remove the keys
- Deleting the keys caused the deletion of all of its subkeys
Suggested Read: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1722
The Endmost Note
In the above section, we have given a brief about your error issue 1618, its causes, symptoms, and triggering techniques. Nevertheless, if your query hasn’t been sorted by any of the listed solutions, don’t panic, just drop a call on our helpline number to connect with our QuickBooks ProAdvisor. If you recently started up your business, you can get more advice and recommendations from our experts.