Several times you have seen “company file in use” or other error messages that restrict you to use and work on your company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. These errors are known as Locked file errors in QuickBooks that provisionally not allow you to open or edit your company file easily. When you’re trying to open/edit the company file, these error messages start appearing on your screen:
Company File in use. Please wait.
Only one user at a time is allowed to do (a task).
Another QuickBooks user is currently performing a task that must finish before you can continue.
Sorry, you cannot change this (transaction) now. (Another user) is currently doing a task that uses that in this transaction.
The automatic entry of (transactions) is being skipped because (another user) is accessing them.
Don’t get worried after getting these kinds of error messages, your company file is alright, everything is good, so now we start discussing all the steps and solutions that help you to fix locked file errors and you get back to do your business work.
Quick Solutions To Fix Locked File Errors
From here, you will know all the possible solutions to fix locked file errors. But there are multiple error messages inside locked file errors so keep implementing the solution as per your error message.
When an error specifying another user is doing something
Generally, this error message prompts when another user is doing a QuickBooks task that carries a restriction of allowing one user at a time even multi-user mode also supports one user at a time.
At that moment, you have to wait until the other user finishes their task. Once done, you can start doing your work. If you know who’s working before you, just visit out and ask for heads-up when their work is done.
If you’re sure that the error is not because of another user, then move further, we have multiple solutions to try and to get rid of this error.
When error consistently referring a specific user
If the error consistently referring a specific user, but the truth is, there is no one who is doing any task in QuickBooks, then you must try the below steps:
- The user that refers to the error required to open or close QuickBooks Desktop on their workstation.
- To check another user, just follow the simple path. On another workstation, launch QuickBooks >> Users >> View Users.
- The user that refers to the error required to log off or sign out QuickBooks from their workstation.
- This is a situation when you need to check the list of users currently doing a QuickBooks task. If the specific users are no longer visible in the list, this means you’re now able to do the QuickBooks task without any difficulty. If the problem is still not sorted, another user still appear signed in, you must try to follow the below solutions that work in both the situations: “Waiting for company file” and “error on multiple workstations”.
When error specifying “Waiting for company file” and “Company File In Use. Please Wait”
These error messages showing performance issues can be either network issues, database problems, conflicting programs, and a server or workstation that is unable to meet the system requirements for QuickBooks. To get collective details to fix performance issues, you can take help from Intuit Learn and Support Page. Enter your query and get your answers.
What to do when an error arises on multiple workstations
Below we have discussed some solutions about what to do when this situation happens:
Solution 1: Check for multiple host computers and stop hosting on all workstations
- Launch QuickBooks
- Now click on the File menu and then click on Utilities
- If you see Stop hosting multi-user access in the menu, click on it and then click Yes give to confirmation
- If you see host multi-user access in the menu, then move to the next step
- Quit QuickBooks
- Repeat all the steps on each workstation that doesn’t host the company file
- Relaunch QuickBooks, later on, try to do the task that prompts locked file errors. If the error is still not sorted then proceed to the next solution (Solution 2).
Solution 2: Stop and Restart QuickBooks services on the server
- Go to the server and ensure that QuickBooks has been closed on all the workstations
- Choose the Start menu and then click on Run
- Reach out to the Open field, later on, enter services.msc, then click on Ok
- From the Name Column, click on QuickBooksDBXX. The item you have chosen totally dependent on the QuickBooks Desktop version you’re working with:
- QuickBooksDB30 = QuickBooks 2020
- QuickBooksDB29 = QuickBooks 2019
- QuickBooksDB28 = QuickBooks 2018
- Click on the Stop link. This step restricts a user from accessing QuickBooks company file anymore
- Click on the Start link. This step again allowing users from accessing the company file while they logged in
- Reopen QuickBooks and check whether you did your issue error-free or not. If you are still getting the same error, move to follow solution 3.
Solution 3: Using QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server
QuickBooks tool hub has collaborated with multiple tools inside to resolve common error problems. Go through the below steps to get a quick resolution for this issue.
- Go to Intuit official site to download and install the QuickBooks tool hub on your server only if you’re not previously downloaded
- After you installed, open the tool and then choose the Program Problems tab
- On the Program problems tab, you have to run all the tools. Once you did, open QuickBooks and try to do the task that prompts locked file errors. If the error is still not sorted then proceed to the next solution (Solution 4).
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks on the server
Proceed with the below steps to do a clean installation of QuickBooks Desktop. Let’s start doing this:
- At very first, you require to download the installer as per your QuickBooks version on which you’re working
- Don’t give up to note down your license number. Your license number is on the authentic packaging, if you have purchased a digital version of QuickBooks then reach out to your product confirmation email, it has carried your product year and the QuickBooks version just noted down.
You’re eligible to retrieve the information from your account management portal (https://accounts.intuit.com). Copy it and open it in your browser.
Steps to Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
If you’re facing problems while uninstalling QuickBooks, stop the troubleshooting process might it happen due to some other technical issues with your computer. To fix it contact IT professionals, knowledgeable expert technicians, or specialists.
Step 1: Remove QuickBooks software
- Reach out to the Windows Start menu, and then seek for Control Panel. Once you find it, click to open it
- Click on Program and Features/Uninstall a program
- Move to check the list of installed programs. Now check your QuickBooks product version you’re carrying an issue
- Click on Uninstall/Remove and later on click on Remove. If the option is not available in your system, then you can either go for logout from your current account and logged in again with administrative level authorizations for Windows.
Step 2: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
After you successfully did step 1, move to follow the installation steps once again to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
What to do if the error persists on only one workstation
If you found the error on only one workstation, this means the problem exists within your QuickBooks or Windows permissions. Learn the steps to know what to do when this situation happens.
Solution 1: Create a new user in QuickBooks
- Launch QuickBooks and then open their Company menu, later on, click on Setup users and roles
- Go inside the Users and Roles window, click on New. Inside the user name field, add a name, If you’re willing, you can add and confirm a password
- Go inside the Roles window, choose a role, choose Add >> Ok
- If you’re willing to do another change to the role, click on the Role List tab, and then click on Edit. Add or reassign the authorization whenever it requires and then click on the Ok option
- From the Users and Roles window, click on the Close option
- It’s time to log out of QuickBooks from your workstation, Then you have to login again with new credentials as a fresh user. Check and verify the user access to make sure everything is set up good and in the same way as you want
- Perform all the tasks as a fresh user. But the same error knocks you, then move to follow the next solution (Solution 2).
Solution 2: Create a New Windows user with Administrative level rights
- At very first, create a new Windows user with the admin credentials
- Now login to Windows with your new credentials on the workstation
- From your Desktop, reach for the QuickBooks icon and right-click on it. Later on, click to run as an administrator. This grants you to do your task on your workstation without prompting any error issue.
You might like to read: How to Fix QuickBooks won’t open Company File error
The Bottom Line
We have given a detailed view of errors to fix locked file error messages. But if you’re uncomfortable applying the manual steps and solutions by yourself. You can hire our QuickBooks ProAdvisor to do it for you. All your queries belonging to accounting and bookkeeping are instantly resolved by dialing our toll-free number. So don’t delay, give us a call now.